WHY we use the technology we do!
Clinics who make the science-based Activate Metabolics Weight Loss Program available to their patients use various types of technology for a very simple reason: to be as informed as possible in order to lead, guide, treat and coach their clients the BEST way possible!
One of the first things our providers do when a person visits their clinic with interest in (or a need for) weight loss is perform a computerized Body Composition Analysis or “BCA”. This technology has been around for quite some time but is continually developing and advancing. Like so many preliminary tests used in healthcare, this tool simply takes the guess work out of what we do.
In less than a minute, we can gather an enormous amount of information about a person and the make-up of their body. Sure, we can get their weight, but they can do that just about anywhere – including their bathroom scale at home! But let’s recognize and admit it:
There is so much more to a person battling obesity than just that “number on a scale”!
That weight number alone does NOT tell the whole story. In fact, it lacks so much detail that it often creates confusion and frustration to the degree that people just quit! They quit weighing. They quit trying to lose weight. They quit exercising. They just quit trying altogether! All because that little scale in the bathroom (or even at their doctor’s office) simply doesn’t provide enough information!
Overweight and obese patients have an opportunity to get more fully informed, empowered and able to understand their body by using BCA technology. And we all know that …
A better educated and informed patient tends to get more engaged in their care, achieve better results and refer others better. Isn’t that what we all want?
Below are 5 quick, easy and very important bits of information our providers get when they first meet with prospective weight loss patients. This enables them to determine if/how they may qualify for the Activate Metabolics program, how they can best help that person and what that individual’s weight loss program fee would be:
- Get an INITIAL BREAKDOWN of exactly what makes up those pounds the patient is seeing on their home scale. The BCA technology allows us to determine actual pounds of bone, muscle, water and yes, FAT!
- This allows us to set realistic and healthy GOALS based on an individual’s body make-up. Specifically, the number of fat pounds they have. Think about it: if a person is the same height as another person of the same gender who has 20 pounds less muscle, they probably should not be aiming for the same goal weight! Information like this makes it blatantly clear that the ol’ height-weight charts are very antiquated in many cases. Here’s what we encourage our patients working on weight loss to do …
Compare yourself to yourself … NOT to any wall-chart … and especially NOT to other people!
When you do this, you focus on becoming a better and healthier version of Y-O-U!
And that’s what it is all about!
- Get a read of VISCERAL FAT RATING. This kind of fat is progressively getting more and more attention – as it should. It is surely the most dangerous and damaging fat. It is different than that “pinch an inch” fat that you may have around your belly or on your “love handles”. Visceral fat is the fat that forms deep inside around our vital organs. Yikes! You can’t see it or feel it, but it is now known to contribute to a number of serious and chronic health conditions – including Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and even certain kinds of cancer.
- Evaluate the body’s WATER % and pounds to evaluate how well the patient is hydrating. As you know, this is very important in weight loss, metabolism and health overall. Remember: it’s not ALL about fat! Muscle and water weight should also be monitored and kept in check, too. Normal values of each allow a person to maximize their metabolism and achieve healthy weight management.
- TRACK progress at any stage of a patient’s weight loss and health journey. Tracking, evaluating and advising is critical whether you and your staff are observing changes during the initial intensive phases of a weight loss program or later as a patient begins more fitness and may be gaining muscle mass. Measuring changes for the better in regard to both the fat and muscle pounds helps a patient see that their body is, in fact, moving toward health – despite the fact that their ol’ home bathroom scale showing only total pounds may not make sense!
BCA scans tell us even more than these things, but this is a short list and understanding of WHY we do what we do – and WHY you, too, should consider getting more information about your patients battling weight issues. Don’t let the limited information on their ol’ bathroom scale mis-lead or frustrate them! To see is to know! Don’t guess about your patients, their weight issues or their wellness approach!
Click or call today to learn more about how we use BCA’s and
our science-based, TURN-KEY SYSTEM for clinical weight loss!